CGES performs the activity of electricity transmission in Montenegro through the transmission network at 400 kV, 220 kV and 110 kV voltage levels, as well as system control and maintenance and development of the transmission network.
CGES has a transmission network consisting of the transmission lines long over 1300 km (the total length of the transmission lines in the territory of Montenegro, which is the ownership and fixed assets of CGES, is 1305.86 km) and 24 substations at 400kV, 220kV and 110kV voltage levels. The total transformation capacity of the transmission network of Montenegro is 3846.5 MVA (with a total of 53 transformer units).
Three large power plants with a total installed capacity of 947 MVA (867 MW) are connected to the transmission network:
- TPP Pljevlja - 218.5 MW (257 MVA) connected to 220 kV network in SS Pljevlja 2,
- HPP Piva - 3x114 MW (3x120 MVA) connected to 220 kV network,
- HPP Perućica - 5x38 (5x40 MVA) + 2x58.5 MW (2x65 MVA) connected to 110 kV network,
- WPP Krnovo - 72 MW connected to 110 kV network in SS Brezna, and
- WPP Možura - 46 MW connected to 110 kV network.
The total installed capacity is 985.5 MW.
In recent years, CGES has done a lot to enhance the Montenegrin transmission network by constructing and commissioning the following very important facilities:
- Construction of the 400kV transmission line Podgorica 2 - Albania (29.4 km long in Montenegro);
- Construction of the 110/35kV 2x20MVA substation Virpazar connected to the transmission network by the connection to the 110kV transmission line Podgorica 2 - Virpazar;
- Extension of the 400kV and 110kV switchyards in Ribarevine and installation of 400/110kV 150MVA transformation;
- Reconstruction of SS 110/35/10kV Andrijevica by constructing a new 110kV switchyard, upgrading the transformation of the existing capacity from 10MVA to 30MVA and connecting it to the 110kV transmission line EVP Trebješica-Berane by the "input-output";
- Construction of SS 110/10kV 63MVA Podgorica V and 110kV transmission line Podgorica V-KAP I (the so called T junction on the KAP I line);
- Extension of SS 220/110/35kV Mojkovac with the construction of 220kV switchyards and construction of 220kV and 110kV connection lines in front of SS Mojkovac;
- Construction of the 110kV cable line Nikšić - Kličevo, about 3.7 km long with a new 110/10 kV 63 MVA substation Kličevo;
- Construction of the 110/35/10kV substation (110kV switchyard and 110/35kV 2x20MVA transformation) Kotor (Škaljari) and a new 110kV transmission line Tivat - Kotor, about 7.5 km long;
- Construction of the 400/110/35kV substation Lastva and its connection to the transmission network by the connection with the 110 kV transmission line Budva-Tivat;
- Construction of the 2x400 kV transmission line, section Lastva-Čevo, about 36 km long, connected to the existing 400 kV line Podgorica - Trebinje by the "input-output".
In cooperation with investors of wind power plants, in the previous period, CGES connected the following plants to the transmission network:
- WPP Krnovo via the new SS 110/35 kV Brezna and 110 kV connection lines;
- WPP Možura through the connection of the existing 110 kV Bar-Ulcinj transmission line by the "input-output".
Activities are being carried out to implement a number of projects, among which are:
- Construction of the 400 kV transmission line, section Čevo-Pljevlja, with total length of about 116 km (including OHL section 400 + 110 kV from Brezna to Njegovuđe);
- Reconstruction of the protection system in the transmission network, where the second phase of the project of equipping the SS 220/110/35 kV Podgorica 1 and a number of 110 kV substations with microprocessor protection and control devices is underway;
- Replacement of HV equipment in substations, where the second phase is also underway, which includes works in SS Pljevlja 2, SS Podgorica 2, SS Ribarevine, SS Podgorica 1, SS Podgorica 3, SS Berane, SS Budva, SS Herceg Novi, SS Bar, SS Cetinje, SS Tivat, SS Ulcinj and SS Nikšić;
- The Luštica project, which includes the construction of the 110/35 kV SS Luštica (Radovići), 2x110 kV cable 11.5 km long and 110 kV OHL Lastva-Kotor, as well as the reconstruction of the 110 kV OHL Lastva-Tivat and SS 110/35 kV Tivat;
- Installation of a new SCADA system, which involves the implementation of the new SCADA/EMS system at the locations of the existing NDC and Back-up Dispatch Center (RDC), and preparation of all facilities for their connection to the new system;
- Construction of a new 110/35 kV 2x20 MVA substation Žabljak and connection to 110 kV network;
- Construction of the cable line connecting the 110/10 kV SS Podgorica 4 to the 220/110/35 kV SS Podgorica 1.
Besides the distribution consumers, the energy is withdrawn from the transmission network by direct consumers as well:
- Aluminum Plant Podgorica,
- Steel Works Nikšić,
- Railway Infrastructure of Montenegro JSC Podgorica.